"Rejoice O young man in thy youth..."
Ecclesiastes

"...For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted"
Luke 18:14

"Educate the children and it won't be necessary to punish the men"
Pythagoras

viernes, 24 de junio de 2016

The meritocracy that once was?

The term meritocracy has fascinated me for so many years... You can find a good definition even in Wikipedia (HERE):

"Meritocracy (merit, from Latin mereō "I earn" and -cracy, from Ancient Greek κράτος kratos "strength, power") is a political philosophy holding that power should bevested in individuals almost exclusively based on ability and talent.[1] Advancement in such a system is based on performance measured through examination and/or demonstrated achievement in the field where it is implemented"

In a society I would like to live in, I would like to feel that I am where my effort and capabilities have allowed me to arrive.

I am happy where I am. But not everybody can say the same.

In a study by Emilio J Castilla whose details are:

Gender, Race, and Meritocracy in Organizational Careers
Emilio J. Castilla
American Journal of Sociology
Vol. 113, No. 6 (May 2008), pp. 1479-1526

he shows that even companies that apply policies based on meritocracy, other factors affect decisions about who to hire, how much to pay, etc.

Can't you think of examples in your own life where you say to yourself: "this person should have...but he/she does not and the criteria do not have anything to do with capabilities...". All of us can think of at least one example, and that makes millions of examples in the end.

Therefore, I should think we do not live and will not live even in something similar to a meritocratic social system.

Final note: Even all of the above, I still find it fascinating some Youtube videos like the following one:




No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario